Friday, September 16, 2011

My Little Corner of the World

I can not be more thankful for everything that the Lord has given me. I have still not fully grasped the idea of being here. Everything is different; the smell of cool crisp air, the sunlight as it creeps through the thick boreal forest, the dome like sky sits overhead as the clouds seem to be just out of arms reach....it's beautiful!!!

When I'm not in class, I am in my cubicle!! I received  a researching assistant position at the International Arctic Research Center (IARC) which is located on upper campus. I do research for two researchers: Dr. Georgina Gibson and Dr. John Walsh. They are the best, both of them have done everything possible to get me settled in here and made sure it all went smoothly. The research is really interesting. Here is an overview of what it the research focuses on:

It is titled  “Ecosystem Impacts of variability and extreme events in the Arctic”. The project aims to quantify the ability of the Community Earth System Model to capture ecosystem-relevant variability in the Arctic over seasonal to decadal timescales, and to perform off-line simulations, with regional scale ecosystem models, to evaluate the sensitivities of ecosystem components to extended-duration forcing anomalies and extreme events (Gibson 2011).   


This is the entrance to upper campus with the Museum of the North in that background...really cool architecture.


This is IARC where the Department of Atmospheric Science (DAS) is located and where my office is located. Really the department is split between those two buildings IARC is the building on the left and the Geophysical Institute (GI) is on the right.  



This is my cubicle on the 4th floor of IARC


Here is the view from the 4th floor....that's the Alaskan Range


 View from standing outside IARC





 See the trail? there is a huge network of trails all over Fairbanks this goes down to the cabin..

Looking towards downtown Fairbanks

No comments:

Post a Comment